How does one learn to become a good DJ?
The following are all helpful:
- Develop a love for music, listen to as much as you can
- Get yourself some DJ equipment to practice, practice, practice
- Listen to lots of mixes from your favorite DJs, study the way they pace their sets, observe how they change the mood over time, etc.
- Go out to clubs and watch great DJs in person – things are very different in a live setting on a big system, take note of how the room responds
- Keep listening to more music and practicing, record your sets and listen back to them
In reality, DJing is mostly about knowing a ton of music inside out and being able to understand how to stitch it all together into a set that is properly paced and has a sense of direction. You do need a basic level of competence on the technical fronts, but only enough to avoid making mistakes that distract the audience from the music